Analysing Steel Structures (Master’s)
The main subjects of this advanced module are the calculations and strength analysis of generic steel structures in compliance with Eurocode 3 (EC 3). The objective of this course is to furnish students with a fundamental understanding of the basic concepts for strength analysis, design and dimensioning in compliance with EC 3. In addition, the students learn the proper application of these concepts in practical contexts. In this context, the following topics are explored:
- The EC 3 analysis concept, which is based on partial safety factors;
- Definition of the cross-section classes and strength analysis procedures;
- Ultimate Limit State (ULS) analysis for typical simple components with and without structural stability relevance;
- Equivalent stress and malleable inertial force variable limits
- Bolt types and the design of bolted connections;
- Stress calculations in welded connections;
- Strength analysis for bolted connections and welded joints;
- Strength analysis for simple components with structural stability relevance;
- Fatigue limit state conditions – S/N (Wöhler) curves, damage accumulation, defining fatigue strength and a treshold value of the fatigue strength (cut-off)
- Fatigue strength analysis for EC 3 compliance;
- Strength analysis details for wind turbines for compliance with GL Guideline 2010
The subjects addressed in the lectures will be practised and reinforced via copious practical examples. This applies in particular to examples relating to the strength analysis of typical components and connections in generic steel construction both in relation to wind turbine structures and steel components.
At a Glance
- Introduction – structural steel as a construction material
- The strength analysis of steel structures in compliance with EC 3
- ULS analysis for simple components
- Bolted and welded connections
- The computational design and analysis of components with structural stability relevance
- Fatigue strength and fatigue analysis in compliance with EC 3
- Structural strength analysis details for wind turbines for compliance with GL Guideline 2010
Please sign in at Stud.IP!
Please, sign in for this module (lecture + exercise) in Stud.IP. Thus, you get the latest news and ensure an optimal planning of the course.
Dates and Rooms
PD Dr.-Ing. habil.|
Tuesday, 11:00 - 13:00 |
PD Dr.-Ing. habil.|
Thursday, 15:00 - 17:00 |
|Room:||A.-Einstein-Str. 2 - R 214, Seminargebäude|
This module is taught in German.
Course documentation and task sheets for the exercises can be downloaded from Stud.IP.
Additional up-to-date information about the courses of this module can be found at the LSF.
You'll find this module in Stud.IP and in the LSF under Course No. 21122.